30 Essential Apps and Utilities for your Mac
30 Essential Apps and Utilities for your Mac
Whether you are a new Mac user or seasoned veteran looking to do more, here’s a collection of essential Mac apps utilities that you must download on your computer. These apps, most of them are free and created by third-party developers, will help you get more productive and do things that are otherwise not possible on your Mac. Here are 30 Essential Apps and Utilities for your Mac
The Best Mac Apps Utilities
The Mac collectionncludes mostly lesser-known apps so the usual suspects likes Evernote, Dropbox, OneNote, or Google Drive are all missing from the list. Also, all the apps listed below are compatible with Yosemite, the current version of Mac OS.
Let’s get started.
30 Essential Apps and Utilities for your Mac Part 1:
- Infinit.io – Easily send files and folders of any size from your Mac to another device bet a Windows PC,Phone,Pad, Android phone or a Mactself.
- Spectacle – Thiss a useful windows management app for Mac that lets you move and resize windows with configurable keyboard shortcuts. You can also move windows between multiple displays too.
- Duet Display – Use yourPad orPhone as an extra display for your Mac. Connect theOS device to the Mac with the USB cable and use the touch-screen tonteract with your Mac apps.
- Knock – You can unlock your Mac by simply tapping yourPhone screen or your Apple Watch without having to type any passwords.
- ImageOptim – Always run yourmages through ImageOptim before upload them on to your website. The Mac app will crush the size of your image files without affecting the visual quality.
- HiddenMe – If your Mac desktops cluttered with folders and files, you can hide all thecons with a single click or with a keyboard shortcut.
- Site Sucker – Download entire websitesncludesmages, PDF files and mirror them on your local disk for offline browsing. Like wget but with a visualnterface.
- App Cleaner – Deleting the .dmg files not enough. If you are to properly uninstall any Mac app, you need to delete the residual hidden files as well and that’s where App Cleaner can help.
30 Essential Apps and Utilities for your Mac Part 2:
- Download Shuttle – A download manager for your Mac that splits the filento multiple parts and downloads thendividual parts simultaneously for faster downloads. Can pause and resume downloads too.
- Toggl – Time tracking software for your Mac that sitsn the status bar for quick access. Add #hashtags to tasks and your tracked hours are also synched with the web.
- Fluid – This will turn your favorite websitento a real desktop app for Mac that will residen the Applications folder and you can launch from Spotlight search.
- Transmit – The perfect FTP client for Mac OS X that just works. You can create droplets tonstantly upload files to your favorite destinations from anywhere.
- Caffeine – It helps your Mac stay awake. Click the Caffeineconn the menu bar to prevent your Mac from automatically going to sleep or from dimming the screen while you are watching videos.
- NoSleep – Your Macbook goes to sleep as soon you close the lid. The NoSleep extension will keep the screen awake even when the lids closed so you can continue downloading files over the network.
- Air Browser – This will put your favorite websitesn the menu bar so you can access them from any screen with a single click. The sites can be configured to auto-refresh on open.
- MacDropAny – You can easily sync any Mac folder with Dropbox or Google Drive without having to move them to a common folder.
- Self Control – Stop procrastinating. This open-source Mac app that will temporarily block access to time-wasting websites, emails and everything else that you find distracting.
- Gas Mask – Thiss a hosts file editor for Mac that can help you permanently block access to certain websites from your computer.
- Authy – Not exactly a Mac app but a Google Chrome extension that you cannot do without. It lets you lognto online accounts that require 2-factor authentication without requiring the phone.
- Pixel Winch – An easy-to-use screen measurement app where you take a screenshot of an area and then use the built-in controls to measure the dimensions of any elementnside no matter how tinyts.
30 Essential Apps and Utilities for your Mac Part 3:
- Buffer – You can easily publish status updates, share links and photos to multiple social websitesn one go from the menu bartself.
- Hocus Focus – It helps keep your Mac desktop screen clutter free by automatically hiding app windows that arenactive or haven’t been used for a while. You can even choose to hide windows as soon as they lose focus.
- AirDroid – It connects your Android phone to the Mac. You can access messages, manage photos, transfer files and more, wirelessly.
- PushBullet – A universal copy-paste solution for all your devicesncluding the Mac. Copy something on your phone andtnstantly becomes available on the Mac’s clipboard and vice-versa.
- Unarchiver – A useful compression utility for Mac that can handle all the popular zip formatsncluding RAR, TAR, MSI, EXE, GZIP and even ISO file. It can extract sounds andmages from Flash and PDF files too.
- iBrowse – Access the files and folders on yourPhone orPadnside this Finder-like app and copymages, videos and other files from theOS device to your Mac easily.
- GIF Brewery – This helps you convert video files and screencastsnto animated GIFs and offers tons of options to fine-tune your GIFmages.
- Karabiner – A key mapping application for the Mac that lets you remap existing keys to perform a different command. Fornstance, the CAPS lock key can be configured to work as an Escape key.
- Better Touch Tool – It lets you easily configure the behaviour of existing gestures of your Magic Mouse or Magic Trackpad or define new multi-touch gestures.
- Hazel – A folder monitoring app that lets you specify rules and the files added to these watched folders are automatically arranged based on your rules. You can run complex rules too, like run Apple Script, when a files added.